Sunday, January 27, 2008

Extending The Experience

Ok . . . so I'm really becoming a Mac fanatic.  Last weekend an early iMac slot loader (CRT based G3 - 500Mhz/20 gig drive/512Mb memory) followed me home . . . I couldn't help it.  :-)   Right now it's on a cart for portability . . helps keep the kids at bay from wanting to camp on mine during weekends/nights here.  :-)  My daughter is already planning to save her money to buy one, and son really wants one, but decided to go for another Windows box for right now.   

This weekend we went to the Apple store and I picked up the mini-DV to composite/s-video cable.  $20 well spent -- because now my Mac can do exactly same roll my Linux box was performing before with displaying things on my TV.  That's basically the only signal it uses . . . other than DVD and VCR hooked to it.  I ditched satellite last year in cost and sanity savings mode.

I'm really quite amazed by my little old iMac (uh . .  the old-old one . . . LOL).  It is quite snappy and works great for checking mail, surfing, and running iTunes and that.  I want to move it around and I just need to get a wireless card for it next.  My want list keeps growing.  :-)   I'd also love a Airport base station . . . that way I could just stream my music to the pool or garage . . wherever I chose to.  Isn't technology great?  :-)  

Speaking of technology . . . I saw a very cool phone setup tonight.  It allows your cordless home phone setup to also use your cell phone via Blue Tooth.  That would be a killer app IMHO . . . especially if you were in a fringe area with marginal signal.  You could put the cell phone and base unit in a place where cell phone worked the best and then roam with the wireless handset.   

Of course the next great technology that will help with that also is the portable mini-cell network.   Basically Sprint has a device that allows you to become your own cell system and send your cell traffic from your own "tower" to go over your high speed internet.  If it saves money/minutes against plan I think there could be a huge convergent of technologies coming soon.  If Sprint would ever kick out high speed wireless at a price point that would make keeping your laptops/etc... all on one network and have it work ANY where . . that would be a killer app.   Can you tell I'm a geek?  :-)

No comments: