Friday, July 25, 2008

It Just Works


Last week I had my daughter in with me at work after an unexpected meeting came up for my wife. I decided to grab one of my 3 (!) older iMac's for her to use while at my work. I needed to move it off a table for a treat day and I put it on my desk . . . and out of curiosity I decided to see if I could load Synergy up on it. Currently I use a Dell laptop with Fedora Core 9 (Linux) on it for my portable PC, and then a Dell Dimension 3100 with Windows XP on it for my main system. Synergy allows me to use one keyboard/mouse between all the systems -- it's very slick. I was looking at a web page on the old iMac (on Tiger - OSX 10.4) and wanted to print. In literally 30 seconds or so I had the printer found, installed, and printing. I was floored . . . I spent 15 minutes when I redid my Windows box, and almost 1 hour on the Linux laptop. UGH!

There's a reason why I use Macintosh (unfortunately at home only) and it just works. It gave my son fits when I told him that's why I quit dealing with Windows/PC stuff, but it rang true the very next day when my work PC had went down. Comparing the number of problems I've had over the past 7 months of Mac ownership to my same timeframe of Windows/Linux woes . . . .ooof. I'm so happy with my Mac systems. I know that probably labels me as a "fanboy" but to me a computer is simply a tool, not a destination. I use it to do my work . . . I would be unhappy if my ratchet fell apart and needed fixing when I went to work on my truck or car. Likewise, I shouldn't need to jump through hoops just to use a computer. The tool should be transparent to what you are doing.

No comments: